Day 7 of Anne’s Journey Back to Ukraine



Day 7 of Anne’s Journey Back to Ukraine

Thanks you sooo much to all of you that have made such nice comments and sent such supportive emails. When I was over here before, I had Tony, Sam and Gabe, along with Lucy and all the other families here adopting. I still have Lucy and now my three new children, but I do miss having Tony, my other boys and all the other families here. I am glad, however, that all of them are safely in their own homes now.

 Tony sent me an email telling me he thought I was a bit harsh on the Ukrainians and their stinky bathrooms and perhaps I should edit my blog a bit so that I don’t offend any Ukrainians that might be reading this blog. Instead of editing my blog, I will admit that I have been in many a stinky gas station restroom in the United States, and, in fact, I have had a stinky bathroom or two in my own home. How can a mom of six sons and all their friends not have one from time to time. Some of my boys have been very poor aims when they were potty training or when they would get up during the night to use the restroom. There, this is my confession. I must also tell you that I love this bathroom in our current apartment and it does NOT stink.

Yuri is going a bit stir crazy at the moment. He really wants to go play some soccer. We will need to head to the market to find a soccer ball.

 So this morning started out with showering, breakfast, etc. The children have been in touch with the one older sister and older brother that have tried to keep in touch with them.  The brother and two other older sisters (that the children have not been in touch with) came to Dnepr to see the children. The older brother had been in the orphanage until he ran away. I cannot remember if I told this story already, Yuri told us that one day the children were told that they were going to the hospital to see the doctor so the four children loaded up to go to the hospital, but instead, they were taken to a different orphanage. After that, the brother ran away. So anyways, we met the one older brother, two of the older sisters, and the little girl of one of the sisters. The timing was bad, in that we had hoped we would apply for the passport yesterday, but our facilitator was unable to get up here soon enough, so we had to go this morning. We thought it would only take about 30 minutes, but over 2 hours later, we left the passport office. The time would not have been a big deal, except that I kept thinking of the children’s family walking around the city, with a 2 year old, waiting for us to get back.

We arrived at just after 11:00 a.m. at the passport office. Victor called to say that he was stuck in traffic or that the drive from Nikopol took longer than they had planned and would be about 15 – 20 minutes late. We really like our taxi drive, Victor, who drove our facilitator, Victor, up to Dnepr. The children climbed in the taxi to see Victor, the taxi drive. Victor, the facilitator and I walked around to the front of the building, while the children were driven around in the taxi. We climb the stairs to the 4th floor. There were two wooden doors that opened off of the large waiting room. Our facilitator had already arranged for an appointment, so we did not have to wait long. Victor did not have to wait long before someone came to the door and invited him in. The children and I waited in the waiting room. The passport office was a very busy place, apparently it was partially due to the upcoming two weekends of holidays (Easter and International Labor Day).  The children and I were finally called into the other wooden door. A lady then sent Yuri and Luba back out into the waiting room. Hyrum sat in a chair waiting to have his photo taken. The young lady helping us was dressed quite fashionably and had very long point fingernails that were painted a bright, but deep red. FYI I must tell you all that I do NOT like long fingernails on myself at all. I keep mine trimmed very short. So I am very biased in my comments on long fingernails. So, her nails were were long and pointed, a bit claw like J. They looked very handy though as she continue to read and text while I sat there. When it comes to typing though, the nails were NOT an advantage. FYI I was a secretary/receptionist from the time I was a sophomore in high school until I graduated from college, so watching her type with one long fingernail showed so much inefficiency it was sad. We would have been done soooo much faster if she had short nails and actually used all ten of her fingers. Oh well! I called Lucy, who was waiting in the taxi with our taxi drive, Yuri. I did not want Zhenia and Luba waiting in the crowded waiting room by themselves when Yuri came back to get his photo and paperwork done. She was happy to come up and sit with them. I had to sign more papers with each of the children. One woman in the office came by and said told Yuri that if he did not know better, she would say that I was his biological (she did not use that word, but that is what she meant) mother and that he looked just like me. She was a very nice lady. I told Victor that I doubted that Yuri took that as a compliment. How many 16 year old boys like to be told they look like their mother?! I look a bit like my dad, and I do think that Yuri looks a bit like my dad’s side of the family. I took it as a compliment. We finished up the paperwork and then Victor had to go back in the other wooden door to finish up things. He finally came out and we headed to the waiting taxis. Victor and I climbed into the back seat of his taxi so that I could get his accommodation receipts and reimburse him for them along with a couple of more taxi rides (and you already know how much our lovely taxi rides to the court city and orphanage cost!). Lucy, the children and I said our good-byes to the two Victors and then climbed in our taxi. I forgot to tell you that when we have been riding in the taxis, we have been going through all the phonics along with singing the alphabet song and reviewing our vocabulary words. We did this again on our way back home to the waiting family.


The family was waiting at our apartment entrance for us. We went across the street to eat some pizza. They were very reluctant to have me pay for their food, but I was insistent. We had a nice little lunch. We then returned to our apartment to show them our photo album. We looked through our family photo album, and I had Lucy tell them that I would be glad to answer any questions that they may have. They did have several questions. We then headed off to the park. We played on the equipment and had a very nice time. It was an absolutely beautiful day for which I am very grateful. The oldest sister asked when we were leaving Dnepr and told us that she would like to bring to two little boys to see us on Sunday. We told them that we would be at church until 2:00, but after that we would be available. We walked them to the streetcar for them to return back to the train station. I insisted that they take money to pay for their transportation. I told than I was very grateful that they were willing to travel here to meet us, and so I really wanted to pay for the cost of their travels.

Luba & Zhenia on the streetcar
Zhenia’s photo of me on the streetcar
At the mission office

We returned home for just a bit before we had to hurry to catch a streetcar up to the mission office for Lucy to translate for one of the convert members of the church that was being interviewed by some men in Utah. They also interviewed Lucy. While Lucy was busy, Elders Hammon and Torrance (sp?) showed the children and I a church movie. I had to work hard to stay awake through the movie. We then visited a bit longer with the office elders. We finally made our departure and headed for Pazata Hata for dinner.

Guess where we are eating again!

The children loaded up their trays quite well. I was confident that they would not be able to eat it all. I decided on my typical cucumber and tomato salad and borscht. The children surprised me very much by eating all of their food. Luba to Lucy that she didn’t think they would all eat their food either. Yuri said he was “full.” He heard that word a lot while he was at our home. We needed to go to the market and the children were very excited to go again.

The market was super crowded and Lucy did not like it at all. She said she cannot think well when it is crowded. I am used to shopping in crowded groceries stores just before the holidays (Easter this time). So, we make a quick dash through the store purchasing a few apples, bananas, plastic cups, lots of yogurt, another box of granola, a couple of rolls of toilet paper, a number of boxes of juice, several small bags of nuts and a couple of bags of raisins. We quickly loaded the groceries into to four bags so that Yuri and Zhenia could carry them for us. We walked a little ways to catch the street car. We only had to go a couple of stops to get to ours, but it was worth the 5 grivna (sp?).

We were back home after a busy day. We got the groceries unloaded and the dishes washed. The boys watched Narnia, while Luba and I Skyped my brother, Allen, and my sister, Laura Jo. Before we knew it, it was 11:30 p.m. and we went to bed. Oh, I did call Tony just before going to bed. I sat in the dark with my microphone and my earphones trying to be quiet as I talked with Tony on the computer. Have I already said how much I love Skype?! Tomorrow (Saturday, April 23rd) is Tony and my 26th wedding anniversary. He traded our Hale Center Theatre tickets for tomorrow with his parents’ tickets for a later day. Thanks Dad and Mom Faber! We hope to have MANY more anniversaries to celebrate TOGETHER in the future.

I do not have time to proofread this, so you can all proofread it for me. Thanks!!

8 Responses to “Day 7 of Anne’s Journey Back to Ukraine”
  1. Nannette says:

    Anne, I feel like I’m reading a captivating book and now I have to wait for the sequel to come out! Keep blogging 🙂 and I’ll keep praying for all of you.

  2. We have commented many times on how much all 3 of the kids look like they’ll fit right in with your family, especially Yuri. He has many attributes of your boys.

  3. Erica Michaelis says:

    What a busy day! Getting the passports took quite awhile for us as well. Not 2 hours, I believe, but considering you had two other children to get everything filled out for, it was probably about what 1 took for you. Quite interesting, in my opinion. I still don’t know why we had to have the other photos of Ira when they just took a digital one for her passport anyway. I know they were used, but still.

    I’m glad things went well with the missionaries and the visit with the kid’s siblings. I hope you enjoy your visit again tomorrow and that your passports come quickly. 🙂

    And, I don’t think you were harsh on the bathrooms at all. Honestly, they are what they are. Even Masha complained about the one in the bus station and she said she was USED to Ukrainian bathrooms! Just like traveling across the USA, you learn where the good bathrooms are and don’t pass them up!

  4. Stephanie Holbrook says:

    I agree with Erica, I didn’t think you were harsh at all. It’s so fun to follow this part of your adoption and to know that you are so close to coming home:) Happy Anniversary and Happy Easter!

  5. kerry says:

    I am loving hearing what you are doing. Keep blogging and writing all of the things you are thinking. You will want to remember it all, good and bad and writing it somewhere – even your blog – will be priceless to you in the weeks to come. I’m only 11 days home and I am so grateful for every word I took the time to write. It’s worth it. Just tell yourself, “Future Anne will want to remember all of this!” I love your stories. The kids are darling. I can’t wait to get together soon. Heidi F. came to Victoria’s shower this week. She is darling and wonderful. Thank you again for everything you did to help our efforts there. You are one amazing woman.

  6. Kim says:

    Anne, It is so good to hear what’s going on. Can’t wait to hear when you are coming home. I think you were spot on with the bathroom thing, though. The truth is the truth! Say hi to Lucy for me. It’s great to see your kids. I had only see pictures of them from the Save a Child stuff so its nice to see them with Lucy and you. Miss being able to see you. I will try skyping soon. Hang in there. I was surprised to feel like I missed Ukraine a bit (just a bit) after I got home…it is a wonderful experience…an experience of a lifetime. Hope you enjoy being with just your newest children for a little while. It is a fun time to share with them before you get home. Take care…always thinking of you!

  7. Wendy says:

    Anne! For those of us that have had the “privilege” of using orphanage toilets, I don’t think you were harsh in the least!
    The kids look so happy and what a blessing to have Lucy with you.
    I love reading your blog and have not missed a word!
    Kerry is right. You will love that you blogged this. I’ve considered having my blog printed up and made into a book for Alex to make up for his lack of a baby book. It was his “birth” into our family.
    Hang in there. Hope it goes fast and you’re home to join us for lunch next month!

  8. debbiemosteller says:

    did you get a chance to see our kids? thanks for taking our gifts to them!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: