Day three of our journey (Monday, March 14)

In front of St Andrews next to the SDA

State Department of Adoption (SDA) Day —

We started our day a bit earlier than we had hoped. An early morning phone call from home started the day out.  We are so glad that Grandpa and Grandma Faber along with Caleb are able to take care of the issues that arise while we are away. I tried really hard to get back to sleep, but is just didn’t happen.  It was just the beauty part of my sleep that I missed, oh well.

We are really enjoying Skype.  We were able to talk with our son, Caleb and Tony’s parents.  It was so great to be able to see them while we talked. We also talked with Brandon Michaelis (who’s wife is here finishing up their adoption). Our son Gabe is going to Skype our neighbors, the Leishmans. They are his second familly, and Gabe likes being their son’s big brother. Did I say that I like Skyping?

We all got up and took showers.  I would not say the water was hot, but it wasn’t cold either. One of the couples here adopting is staying in an apartment that has a little water heater under the sink. They say that it allows for about a two minute shower with warm water and then the water is cold. We are greatful that we do not have to take cold showers. After breakfast, we headed to the SDA for our appointment.

We were told that our two sons could not be in that appointment.  One of the other families (the Shaws) had their appointment just before us, so our boys sat in the restaurant accross the cobble stone street from the SDA with Kerry and Spencer Shaw while we went in for our appointment.  The gal asked us to tell her about ourselves, which Tony did. She then pulled out three papers. Each paper had a small photo in the top left corner. We were able to see an older picture of each of our children. They were cute photos from years ago. It was obvious that they had the right three children. They said that they will give us permission to go see our three children. Our letter will be available at their office for us to pick up tomorrow after 4:00 p.m. Yeah!! Tony had Natasha, our facilitator/translator take a photo of us just outside the door to the SDA.

The Shaws had taken good care of Sam and Gabe for us. We found that Sam had eaten his cherry crepe like thing. Gabe’s strawberry crepe like thing was still sitting on the table, so Tony ate it. I order another Greek Salad. It was yummy (diced cucumbers, bell peppers, tomatos, and feta cheese with dried oregano sprinked on them).


What do you get when you accuse your spouse of spending too much time on the computer doing some silly blog? That’s right, you get to do the next blog! This will be a little different as it comes through the eyes and experience of a husband.


We were picked up to go to our SDA appointment and drove five minutes to the governement building where the SDA is housed. The roads were all cobblestone and reminded me of the road that Jason Bourne almost go blown up on when he was in Tangier Fortunately, that did not happen to us. It was still fairly early in the morning by Kiev standards and the street sweepers were still out cleaning up the streets from the weekend. Street sweepers here are a little different from the zambonie type sweepers we are used to seeing in the states. Here, street sweepers consist of late middled aged men and ladies with a bunch of little sticks tied to the bottom of a big stick and using it like a browm. Where is Home Depot when you need them? Anyway, they actually did a pretty good job and are certainly much cheaper to own and operate then the ones back in the States.
  The building the SDA is housed in is in a construction zone and when I we entered a decrepit looking side door after walking accross some dirt, I felt like I was going to some clandestine meeting with some Mafia guys. Fortunately, that was not the case and when we got inside, while the office was old, everything was neat and orderly and the psycholgist we met with could have been mistaken for your college son’s cute girlfriend. We went over the file for the three childen (Yuri, Xenia, and Luba) and once we agreed that we did indeed want to adopt them, we told that we would get the official letter granting us permission to visit the children in the orphanage tomorrow at four in the aftenoon. One would wonder why they can’t simply stamp your letter right then, after all they have only known we were coming for several weeks now. All I can say is that government beauracracy is present here just as much as it is in the states. Try and bully your way through and you will find your papers on the bottom of the pile and there is nothing you can do about it.

Traffic rules seem not to exist here and there does not appear to be any semblence of parking ettiquite. When we were walking home for the SDA appointment we had to walk around a car that was parked right in the middle of the sidewalk. I said to Sam that it was a pretty cool car and he mentioned casually that it was a Bentley.

We toured St. Sophia which is a church that was built in the 11th century and is now a museum. Unfortunately, many other historic buildings did not make it through the communists regime. Stalin had another historic church torn down so just down the street so he could build a communist building in its place (and you thought only the Taliban tore down historic shrines). Needless to say, you don’t find any statues of Stalin around. It was pretty amazing to see some of the very old frescoes and mosiacs. One depicted the Noah’s ark and the flood just at the time when it started to rain and the water was coming up. All the people not in the ark were depicted as being naked. Many layers of meaning could be interpreted from this. This is a link for pictures and more history. We climbed to the top of the bell tower which has a picture included. 

Dinner was at the Prego which just happens to be an Italian restaurant that also happens to serve suishi (never seen that before). Walking along the streets at night and seeing the vast throng one gets the sense that you should just be able to walk up to these people and just start speaking English. Actually, the only people we found speaking English were some fellow tourists and some guys from Africa. The closest thing I can picture is walking the streets of Rome. Lots of old buildings, none of them very tall, and people everywhere just carrying on with there daily lives mostly talking on cell phones. 
2 Responses to “Day three of our journey (Monday, March 14)”
  1. Thanks for the updates. It’s good to hear from Tony, too. Different perspectives and information. Laughed about the Bourne image. We just watch the movie with that scene last week. Glad Skype is helping you all feel connected. It really does make it a small world. Sleep well and best wishes for safe travels tomorrow night.

  2. Ryan Faber says:

    yeah cars park on the sidewalk, careful though because sometimes drivers decide to just drive on the sidewalk and if you aren’t paying attention you will get a good honking at

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: